16 April, 2012

Fabricating a reproduction Sten loop stock (part one)

You will probably be familiar with the ubiquitous British WW2 sub-machine gun, the Sten.

Source: Wikipedia

It was mass produced in significant quantities throughout the war and you have probably seen it with the "T-Stock" in it's MkII configuration (as shown above).

However, I going to to have a go at fabricating a "Loop stock" (as shown below) for an existing reproduction Sten.

Source: gunpics.net

The plan is to make a 'stand off 1:1 scale' version. By that I mean it will not be an exact replica, but it should generally look like the real thing from a few feet away. This is consistent with the rest of the reproduction Sten which is also not an exact replica.

The main differences are that I will fabricate it from Aluminium rod and not mild steel 'U-section'. I will  braze the joints and support with 3mm threaded rod where I can and not weld them like the original.

I'm using some 10mm anodised aluminium rod I have rattling around my workshop. I started by using the T stock that I have to give me the general sizes and set about eye-balling the bending points.

Here is my result after the first bends


When I rough cut the prototype stock from the rest of the bar and put it next to the rest of the reproduction Sten you can see I have a few adjustments to make.


Nothing to difficult to get those bends right, just a bit more heat and a bit more bending. I'm afraid I ran out of gas for my torch so I will continue this post when I resupply.

...

I now have more gas, read part two here.

If you want to read more on the fantastic Sten, look here.

If your looking for some technical drawings on the Sten mkII, look here.